Study in Holland

There are many reasons why you should consider studying in Holland but ultimately the most important factors will be different for each and every one of you. Here we focus on some of the key advantages of gaining a Dutch university education.

Student life & Leisure

Many cities also have several separate student associations, not connected to any institution. And there are usually pubs, restaurants and other meeting places where many students hang out.

There is plenty to see in Holland, whether you’re strolling through town, making a boat trip on the canals or lakes, lazing on the beach or walking in the woods and dunes.

Major international music stars regularly play at Dutch stadiums and smaller venues. Musicals and theatre are also very popular and with over 1,000 museums there is a lot to discover.


Pioneering benefits science and education – it is the only way to discover new things. Holland is the birth place of many Nobel Prize winners in the fields of physics, chemistry, economics and medicine.

But it is also a free port for international scientists. The famous Nobel Laureates Marie Curie and Andre Geim came here to conduct research.

The Erasmus Mundus scholarship takes its name from the best known Dutch philosopher and humanist, Desiderius Erasmus. After completing his studies in Holland, Erasmus travelled all over Europe to debate with other famous scholars, among them Thomas More.

These are just some of the well-known Dutch pioneers. When you study in Holland you will find out what it is like to be a pioneer.

Working while studying

International Students need a work permit (the permit is free of charge) and you are restricted in the number of hours you may work in the Netherlands. Every calendar year, you must make a choice between:

  • seasonal work in the months of June, July and August (part-time and full-time are allowed)
  • part-time work throughout the year (no more than 10 hours a week).

Higher Education System

Higher education in Holland is known for its high quality and its international study environment. With more than 2,100 international study programmes and courses, it has the largest offer of English-taught programmes in continental Europe.

Dutch higher education has a binary system, which means that you can choose between two types of education:

  • research-oriented education, offered by research universities.
  • higher professional education, offered by universities of applied sciences.
  • A third, smaller branch of higher education is provided by institutes for international education, which offer programmes designed especially for international students.

At a research university you will focus more on research-oriented work, which could be either in an academic or in a professional setting. At a university of applied sciences you can choose a professional programme in the applied arts and sciences, to prepare you for a specific career.


Many students do an internship as part of their study programme. As a foreign student, you may also be interested in doing an internship in the Netherlands.

Average Tuition Fees

The tuition fees for Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes for non EU-students are usually higher than those for EU citizens.

  • Most of the Bachelor’s study programmes cost from €5,800 to €10,000 per year.
  • Several Dutch universities offer Master’s programmes for non-EU students for €1906 per year, but education costs for the most of them start from €7,000-€8,000.

In total a study year for citizens outside of Europe can cost between €17,000 and €22,000 (inclusive all living expenses.)

Please note, that international students enrolling to a Dutch university, must pay the full tuition fee amount for the first study year. Current university students can arrange a term-based payment in certain cases.

Cost of Living

You will need between € 900 and € 1,200 per month to cover rent, food, insurance, transport and other expenses. Some students manage to spend less, but this of course depends on your own lifestyle. An indication of likely expenses is given below

  • Rent: € 350 – € 600
  • Food: € 350
  • Insurance: € 50
  • Public transport: € 70 – €100 maximum (unless you live outside of Amsterdam)
  • Books: € 50
  • Other costs: € 60
At the Holland ISC you will be provided with the best preparation for your chosen university in Holland. We partner with several top universities in the country, offering pathway programmes varying from English Language courses to our International Foundation Year and our English Pre-Masters.

To study a programme at the Holland ISC students must meet the following entry requirements:

All students must apply and obtain a conditional offer from one of our partner universities before joining a programme at the Holland ISC. Our Admissions Coordinator can assist you in this process if you have not already applied to a Dutch University.


English Language Requirements for International Foundation Year Programme


  • Three-term programme from September to July with an entry level of IELTS 5.0 (minimum 5.0 in writing and no other sub scores below 4.5) and a targeted exit level of IELTS 6.0.


English Language Requirements for the English Pre-Masters programme


  • Two-term programme from January to July with an entry level of IELTS 5.5 (minimum 5.5 in writing and no other sub scores below 5.0) and a targeted exit level of IELTS 6.5.
  • Three-term programme from September to July with an entry level of IELTS 5.0 (minimum 5.0 in writing and no other sub scores below 4.5) and a targeted exit level of IELTS 6.5.Progression to certain master programmes at Wageningen University only is IELTS 6.0. For all other master programmes, progression is IELTS 6.5.


English Language Requirements for the English Foundation Programme


  • Two-term programme from January to July with an entry level of IELTS 5.5 (minimum 5.0 in writing and no other sub scores below 4.5) and a targeted exit level of IELTS 6.0.
  • Three-term programme from September to June with an entry level of IELTS 5.0 (minimum 5.0 in writing and no other sub scores below 4.5) and a targeted exit level of IELTS 6.0.

Visas and Permits


To enter the Netherlands for study purposes, you might need a visa and/or a residence permit.

Whether you need a visa or not, depends on:

  • Your nationality – as stated on your passport.
  • The duration of your stay: shorter or longer than three months.
  • Your purpose of stay: we assume that you will come to Holland to study or to do a preparatory year


When you enrol in a study programme, your host institution will contact you to start up the application procedure. If not, ask for help by contacting the department dealing with international student mobility. Usually this will be the institution’s international office.


Types of Visa


Depending on your nationality, you might need a visa to travel into the country. For stays of up to 90 days, this visa is called a ‘short stay visa’ or ‘Schengen visa’. For stays longer than 90 days, this is called an entry visa (MVV) and is always followed by a residence permit (VVR).




The visa will usually allow you to travel throughout all countries in the Schengen area. Sometimes the visa is limited to a single country (for example Holland only) or a few countries (for example Holland, Belgium and France). In that case, the visa will only allow you to travel to and through that particular country or these particular countries.

With a short stay visa your stay in the Schengen area is limited to a maximum of 90 days within a period of 180 days. This means that once you have been in the Schengen area for 90 days you may not return until another 90 days have passed.

An entry visa is also valid for only 90 days and is meant to be followed by a residence permit for a longer period of time.


Entry Visa / Authorisation for Temporary Stay (‘MVV’)


All non-EU/EEA students entering the Netherlands will require an Entry Visa (‘MVV’), except nationals from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, South Korea, the USA and Vatican City State. This Entry Visa is a sticker that is placed in your passport and is issued by the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin.


Residence permit


All those who enter the Netherlands with or without an Entry Visa (‘MVV’) and who wish to stay for a period of longer than three months, are obliged to apply for a ‘Verblijfsvergunning regulier’, or ‘VVR’ (a Residence Permit). The Immigration Officer will send the application to the Dutch Immigration & Naturalisation Service (‘IND’) on your behalf. Your Residence Permit will be ready soon after your arrival in the Netherlands.


Documents required to apply for Dutch Student Visa


  • A passport with validity of 1 month beyond date of completion of course
  • Letter of acceptance from University in Holland
  • Evidence of enough funds to study and live in Holland
  • Transcripts of previous academic achievements.


Standard Financial requirements for Student Visa and/or Residence Permit


As a non-EU national entering the Netherlands to study, you may need an entry visa and/or a residence permit. To obtain these you must demonstrate that you have enough money to cover your entire stay.

  • The Dutch Ministry of Justice has set a standard amount of € 854.13 per month for this purpose (at least € 11,000 for a 12-month stay). If you also wish to apply for a permit on behalf of your partner and/or children, you will need a minimum of € 1375.18 per month (valid on 1 June 2015- subject to annual change).

Important note: These standard amounts do not include tuition fee costs. You are expected to have the amounts stated above at your disposal in addition to sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees.


Proof of Sufficient Funds


The following means are accepted as proof of sufficient funds:

  • transfer of funds for living expenses (preferred)
  • bank statement
  • scholarship letter.


Visa Fees


Please transfer the following legal fees to University’s bank account /credit card payment (only for visa/residence permit fee) before the deadline stated in your admission offer:

  • € 307 (2015) to apply for a student visa and/or residence permit
  • € 154 to extend a student residence permit


Registering with the Council


If you are staying in the Netherlands for more than four months you will need to go to the city council and register as a new resident of the town where you are living.

Registration regulations may vary from one council to another. It is best to contact your higher education institution or the council directly. They can tell you the exact registration procedure, including which documents you need to hand in (such as a valid passport, your rental contract and so on).

Are you intrested to Apply?